134 messages
Matos : 1 avis
Professional skier Jamie Pierre dies in avalanche at Snowbird
Tweet By Roxana Orellana

and sheena mcfarland

The Salt Lake Tribune

First published Nov 13 2011 05:36PM
Updated Nov 13, 2011 11:29PM
Professional skier Matthew Jamie Pierre died in an avalanche he triggered while snowboarding at the unopened Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort Sunday afternoon.

Pierre, 38, of Big Sky, Mont., was snowboarding with a friend in the South Chute area when the avalanche swept him off a cliff, said Unified Police Department spokesman Lt. Justin Hoyal.

The avalanche was reported to authorities at 3:15 p.m. Pierre was not buried in the avalanche but was already dead when rescuers reached him, Hoyal said. His friend was uninjured.

The area where the two were snowboarding would be considered within the boundaries of the resort if it were open, Hoyal said. But until the resort opens, no avalanche control work is being done.

"The terrain is back-country conditions and should be treated as such," Hoyal added. "No one is allowed on the resort while it is closed. This is a sad and unfortunate situation to remind the public that these are dangerous conditions."

Pierre appeared in numerous Warren Miller films and in 2006 set a world-record cliff jump at Wyoming’s Grand Targhee Resort by dropping 245 vertical feet.

"It wasn’t some yahoo stunt," Pierre told The Associated Press after setting the record. "I chose to do it so it would open up doors so I could witness my faith in Christianity."

Born in Minnesota, Pierre moved to Salt Lake City for a time to ski before relocating to Montana. Pierre is survived by a wife and two children.
tcsa
tcsa

inscrit le 10/05/07
17K messages
Stations : 1 avis
Euuuuuuuuuh on est déjà au courant depuis ce matin:
/forums/sports/ski/freeride/sujet-119132.html
ak
ak
Statut : Expert
inscrit le 06/02/03
91K messages
y a au moins 3 sujet sur le cailloux...
Modo
skipass.com
skipass.com [Modo]
Statut : Expert
inscrit le 01/02/01
137K messages
Cette discussion est fermée car elle n'a pas enregistré de nouvelles contributions depuis plus de 6 mois.

Si vous souhaitez intervenir sur cette thématique, nous vous invitons à ouvrir un nouveau sujet sur le même thème.

cordialement

Skipass