Janieaincb
Janieaincb

inscrit le 30/10/05
2 messages
Anyone know a good ski resort in France :) I'm traveling there this winter and want to plan a trip at the best mountain:) Your help is greatly appreciated :)

THANKS
Janie
perceval
perceval

inscrit le 02/03/04
166 messages
Matos : 1 avis
Hello,
There are many good ski resorts in France. In the Alps or pyrenees.
Could you tell us what you exactly want.
For example, do you prefer a small village or a "ski factory".
Do you want a great "freeride" area or usual green,blue,red,black slopes?

best regards
dagu
dagu

inscrit le 08/09/03
2059 messages
Stations : 1 avis
Hi,
actually, it depends on what you're exactly looking for. For instance, what kind of resort do you like: big ones with big mountain skiing facilities, small and quiet resorts... ?
How long do you plan to stay?
In a word, try to be more precise, then somebody's gonna give you an accurate answer :)!
Hopeùla
Janieaincb
Janieaincb

inscrit le 30/10/05
2 messages
Bonjour!

Thanks so much for writing. Honestly, I am not picky. I just want a place where we can have fun- maybe a younger crowd- not a family resort. I was hoping for a nice resort in the pyrenees. I've skiied in Colorado and Vermont here in the states, but I'm sure France is a whole different atmosphere so as far as the mountains, slopes- I'm not picky. I just want to find a nice resort (big or small) that I can have fun and ski at the same time :) I assume bigger resorts have more people, which equals more fun (I like meeting new people, especially from France :) I'll probably only be there for 1-2 weeks so my time is limited.

Janie
dagu
dagu

inscrit le 08/09/03
2059 messages
Stations : 1 avis
Well, I assume you want to spend time in the Pyrenées; unfortunately I just can't give you any advices about resorts down there as I just spend my childhood skiing here, and as a child, I didn't party that much :)!
I think you'd rather go to the Alps, which have much bigger resorts. If you want to hang out with English speaking people, you should probably go to Chamonix, it's more a town than a resort but skiing is so great there. You also should try resorts like Avoriaz or Val d'Isère...
Hopeùla
Rider de Terre
Rider de Terre
Statut : Gourou
inscrit le 02/04/02
4389 messages
Stations : 1 avisMatos : 22 avis
"Bigger resort" in the alps, yeah, but no snow. For 3 years ;)

In pyrénées :

Station du Tourmalet : the biggest in french pyrénées, 2 parts, one (la mongie) with big lines, people, good tracks, restaurants, pubs etc... Normaly a good snow park next year.
The other part (barèges) with little tracks, wood, less people...
You can live in the station

St Lary : big station, good snow, good snow-park, classics tracks, wood tracks... Very good freeride if you find someone to show you. You can live in the village behind the station, and take bus or telepheric to ski.

Piau-Engaly : smaller resort, bug very good snow, big freeride lines but you need someone to show you. No snow park. You can live in the station... there is some pub, not more. Cheaper than Toumalet and Stlary.

Peyragudes : good resort with two parts too. Not so much slope but long tracks where you can carve. Good freeride, easy to find. Snow park, quite ok. You can live in the station.

sorry fot my bad english....
Bigorre65
Bigorre65

inscrit le 25/11/04
55 messages
Hi,
In the pyrenees ther's also Luz-Ardiden. It's smaller than La Mongie But much cheaper.
A good solution could be to stay in the valley : all the resorts are quite close, in a radius of 20 kilometers

Here you have a map from the district where these resorts are :

A link to page with links to official websites : http://www.pyrenees-pireneus.com/STATions_ski_pyrenees.htm

Will you have a car?
Do you plan to stay in only one resort ?

I'm coming to the USA in January. Do you know good resorts in the yosmite park ?
Bigorre65
Bigorre65

inscrit le 25/11/04
55 messages
A little tip :
Sometimes you will hear about Barèges and La Mongie. Now they're the same, the "domaine du tourmalet".
facialbelch
facialbelch

inscrit le 02/01/03
877 messages
Adieuu!

Well you know, France isn't really a good place to ski ;-) No I'm joking... I just want to tell you that there are also great ski resorts in Switzerland, this small and beautiful country where the snow falls delicately on the skin of the mountains............oh what a great writer I am..hum hum... Maybe it will be more difficult to find the place or you'll have to drive more miles, but you will certainly be happy! Come for instance in Verbier (expensive but good snow and incredible night-life!) or in Zinal in the "Val d'Anniviers"(VERY GOOD snow and lost areas to enjoy freeride!! but night-life is less interesting... a few pubs here and there..)

That's what I can tell you about Switzerland... but there are so many places to enjoy a good ride in France and in Switzerland, just try and tell us back where you went... and if it was rather good or bad... (how could it have been bad...?) ;-)

oh, don't forget this:

In Tartiflette We Trust!!!
Janieaincb
Janieaincb

inscrit le 30/10/05
2 messages
You guys rock :) I want to go to France because I have many friends and family there. I don't care if I go to a place that most of the people don't speak english (I'm LEARNING FRENCH!!!! Slowly, but I like to try!!!).

All of you have been so much help :) This is why I love Europe. If anyone has questions about ski resorts in the USA- just let me know :)

Janie
Janieaincb@aol.com
Modo
skipass.com
skipass.com [Modo]
Statut : Expert
inscrit le 01/02/01
137K messages
Cette discussion est fermée car elle n'a pas enregistré de nouvelles contributions depuis plus de 6 mois.

Si vous souhaitez intervenir sur cette thématique, nous vous invitons à ouvrir un nouveau sujet sur le même thème.

cordialement

Skipass